Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Guilty as charged

I was doing a BM reading session with Esya yesterday at around 5pm whilst marking my exam scripts at the same time, thinking I could manage both well. Boy, I was wrong!

Esya smooth-sailed in the beginning, making me a proud mom, when she suddenly failed to pronounce 'ME' correctly and that really struck me! I, as calm as I could be, instantly corrected her and made her repeat it for a few times and resumed marking my papers every time, in turn, leaving her to continue practising her reading on her own. Well, obviously she lacked due attention and I of course failed to notice that. I went on marking instead. Again, she repeated the same mistake and I somehow got really mad, went berserk and to my disbelief, I raised my voice out of anger and frustration over her repeated mistake. Believe it or not, never had I screamed at my students in school the way I did to my own daughter! Being a 5 year old girl, she started to shed tears and broke down right in front of me, apologising for her failure............

Was it her failure or mine? Her cries and constant apologies finally brought me to my senses. I failed to see the needs of my little girl that attention was all she needed at that particular moment. I arrogantly thought I could multi-task and excel at both and??? I was totally wrong. And I couldn't believe that I actually jeopardised my daughter's emotional and intellectual state to prove that I am a supermom!

Realising my mistake, I set aside my exam papers and took Esya into my arms, reassuring her that it wasn't her failure at all for not being able to read correctly. So, I sat next to her, took her book close to me and started going through the whole session all over again, giving her all due attention and guidance. Yes, after a session of proper coaching, Esya finally made it through with a wide glowing smile on her face. And I???? I owe it to her a lesson I learnt today - At times I just have to surrender the idea of being a supermom!!!

Sorry kakak......thanks to u! Ibu sayang kakak......

ps - i had always thought i could multi-task at anything! obviously not. sigh...

No comments: